Game On: North Texas Is Becoming An Esports Hotbed, And Everyone Can Join In
From UTD to Dallas ISD to Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, several Dallas-based institutions and businesses have invested in esports in the last few years.
In the last decade, the popularity of esports, has grown rapidly. Teams of competitive video gamers compete across the globe in front of spectators, all the while hoping to score a championship win.
Video games have always been competitive. In the '90s and early 2000s there were arcade game tournaments and gatherings, and open fighting game events, like Battle by the Bay, largely centered on Street Fighter games.
And esports isn’t just for professional gamers. In North Texas, it’s everywhere now. Here’s a list of a few organizations who’ve gotten in on the fun in our area.
University Esports Programs
Several colleges in the region have esports teams and programs.
- Southern Methodist University - Aside from an esports club for students, SMU’s Continuing and Professional Education program offers an esports business management certificate.
- University Of Texas At Dallas - UT Dallas has a varsity esports program, which launched in 2018. The Comets currently have teams for Overwatch, League of Legends, Rocket League and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. The team has seen lots of success.
- University Of North Texas - Like UT Dallas, UNT also has varsity teams in Overwatch, League of Legends and Rocket League.
- Dallas College - The Dallas College campuses also have an esports league with several teams.
- UT Arlington - UT Arlington has a varsity level esports program. The team competes in games like Rocket League and Super Smash Bros.
Esports For Kids & Teens
Some North Texas public schools have started offering esports programs. There are also local organizations with leagues young people are eligible to play in.
- Dallas ISD - In 2019 Dallas ISD launched an esports program offered to students at over 60 schools.
- University Interscholastic League (UIL) - Last year, Generation Esports became the esports sponsor of the UIL. Texas high schools with varsity level esports leagues can now compete in seasonal tournaments against other students in Texas.
- YMCA - The YMCA of Metropolitan Dallas also has esports leagues and tournaments.
More North Texas Esports
Here are a few other esports organizations based in Dallas-Fort Worth.
- Esports Stadium Arlington - The largest esports facility in North America is located in Arlington. Live events and tournaments are hosted at the stadium regularly.
- Envy Gaming - Rapper Post Malone bought a majority stake in this Dallas-based esports and gaming company last year. Recently it was announced that Envy may acquire OpTic Gaming, another esports company located in Frisco.
- Complexity Gaming - Based in Frisco, this professional esports organization is partially owned by Jerry Jones.
- DreamHack - This Swedish production company hosts esports tournaments and festivals all over the world. Our local event, DreamHack Dallas, is postponed until 2022.
Got a tip? Email Galilee Abdullah at Gabdullah@KERA.org.
KERA News is made possible through the generosity of our members. If you find this reporting valuable, consider making a tax-deductible gift today. Thank you.