State Fair Of Texas Names 10 Finalists: Fat Smooth, Fried Sheet Cake, Fajita Fries And More
The competition's heating up: Ten finalists for the 13th annual Big Tex Choice Awards were announced by the State Fair of Texas Wednesday morning.
Oreo Beer — an item some thought would be just crazy enough to eat (or drink?) — didn't make the cut. But, the even more perplexing Fat Smooth sailed through the semifinals.
The competition began in July with 47 entries that were narrowed to 30 semifinalists earlier this month. Concessionaires whose creations didn't make the finals could be available at the fair if they choose to sell them. So there's still a chance to find out what Fried Texas Dirt is.
Finalists will compete in three categories: Best Taste — Sweet, Best Taste — Savory and Most Creative.
Previously, the fair just had Best Taste and Most Creative. Last year, the winners for taste and creativity were Deep Fried Jell-O and State Fair Cookie Fries, respectively.
The winners will be named at 2 p.m. on Aug. 27 at the Tower Building in Fair Park. The fair runs Sept. 29 through Oct. 22.
Without further ado, here are the finalists, their creators and their competing category.
1. Deep Fried Chicken Noodle Soup on a Stick by Sherry and Chris Howard (Savory)
2. Deep Fried Froot Loops® by Gracie and Milton Whitley (Sweet)
3. Fat Smooth by Tami Nevins-Mayes (Sweet)
4. Fernie’s Fried Texas Sheet Cake by Winter Family Concessions (Sweet)
5. Funnel Cake Bacon Queso Burger by Tom Grace and Edna Sutton (Savory)
6. Gulf Coast Fish Bowl by Clint Probst (Sweet)
7. Pinot Noir Popcorn by The Parish Family (Sweet)
8. Surfin’ Turfin’ Tator Boat by Melissa and David Harrison (Savory)
9. Texas Fajita Fries by Nick Bert (Savory)
10. The Tamale Donut by Justin Martinez (Savory)