Four chefs and two restaurants in Dallas are up for the prestigious James Beard Awards, which annually recognize culinary excellence. But Big D is definitely not the only Texas city to make the list.
Here are the Dallas restaurants and chefs among the James Beard Awards semifinalists, including their nomination category:
- Petra and the Beast (Best New Restaurant)
- Ricardo "Ricchi" Sanchez of Bullion (Outstanding Pastry Chef)
- Bruno Davaillon of Bullion (Best Chef: Southwest)
- The French Room (Outstanding Service)
- Regino Rojas of Purépecha Room by Revolver Taco Lounge (Best Chef: Southwest)
- David Uygur of Lucia (Best Chef: Southwest)
And North Texas' nominations pale in comparison to the rest of the state.
The Houston area has 11 nominations, including Ronnie Killen of Killen’s Steakhouse in Pearland for Best Chef: Southwest, while Austin has eight nominations, including Laura Sawicki of Launderette for Best Pastry Chef.
San Antonio (Steve McHugh of Cured for Best Chef: Southwest) and Lubbock (Kim McPherson of McPherson Cellars for Outstanding Wine, Beer or Spirits Producer) have one nomination each.
The finalists are scheduled to be announced March 27 in Houston.