Need a ride to vote? North Texas public transit agencies can help
Voters will be able to take some free rides through public transportation during the voting periods for the November election.
On select days, voters can ride free on Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART), Denton County Transportation Authority (DCTA) and Trinity Metro to cast their ballot, North Texas agencies announced Monday.
Here's more information on the free rides available:
DART is providing free transportation to voting locations on Election Day, which is Tuesday, Nov. 2. Free rides will be available on the DART bus, light rail, Dallas Streetcar, GoLink and Paratransit service, and on the Trinity Railway Express (TRE) between EBJ Union Station and CentrePort/DFW Airport Station.
Proof of voter registration is not required. Riders can use the promo code "VOTE21" at checkout for a free Adult Local Day Pass in the GoPass app.
Voters can also plan their trip in Google Maps by entering the voting location as the destination and choosing the Transit option (train icon) to get travel directions using DART.
For more information on riding DART to vote go to www.DART.org/Vote or call DART customer service at 214-979-1111.
On Tuesday, Nov. 2, voters will be able to ride free with the Denton County Transportation Authority. No proof of voter registration or destination will be required.
The promotion is valid on the following DCTA services:
- A-train commuter rail
- Connect Bus system (Denton and Lewisville)
- University of North Texas (UNT) Campus Shuttles
- Lewisville Lakeway On-Demand
- Downtown Denton Transit Center (DDTC) Evening On-Demand
Trinity Metro riders can show their voter registration card or current Texas ID for a free ride during early voting Oct. 18-29, and on Election Day, Nov. 2.
For ZIPZONE riders, free rides will be determined by the pickups or destinations proximity to a voting location. The transit services included in the program are:
- Trinity Metro's bus routes
- Mercantile ZIPZONE, Southside ZIPZONE, South Tarrant ZIPZONE
- ACCESS paratransit, plus Tarrant County Transportation Services (TCTS)
- Northeast Transportation Services (NETS)
During the November 2020 election, more than 5,800 free trips to voting locations were provided through the program, according to Tarrant County officials.
For questions or to schedule a ride, contact Trinity Metro at 817-215-8600.
Staying Safe When Riding Public Transit
All three public transit agencies recommend that riders vote early to avoid crowds.
Below are more tips riders should keep in mind to stay safe this election season:
- Wear a face mask while riding and while at the voting location.
- Carry hand sanitizer with you and use it before and after your visit to the voting location, and especially after you use the voting machine. DART has hand sanitizer dispensers on board its buses and trains.
- Bring your own sanitized pen to sign any forms.
- Wash your hands with soap and water as soon as you can after leaving the voting location.
- Consider voting early so you can avoid crowds and practice social distancing.
- Stay home if you are sick or have been exposed to COVID-19.