From The Newsroom: A Special Preview Of The May 27 Runoff's Most Heated Races
The runoff elections are coming up May 27 and early voting is underway. Before you head to the voting booth, get up to speed on the various races by listening to our KERA News Election Special.
Bud Kennedy from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and Gromer Jeffers, Jr. from The Dallas Morning News joined KERA's Shelley Kofler in the studio. (Follow Bud on Twitter. Follow Gromer on Twitter. Follow Shelley on Twitter.)
We’ll preview several of the heated races:
- The Republican lieutenant governor runoff featuring incumbent David Dewhurst and State Sen. Dan Patrick. The race has been particularly nasty, featuring a 'Frozen'-fueled battle and Patrick's mental health history. Dewhurst sat down with KERA earlier this month to talk about why he finished 13 points behind Patrick in the March primary.
- Will Rep. Dan Branch of Dallas or State Sen. Ken Paxton of McKinney win the GOP nomination for attorney general?
- At age 91, Ralph Hall is the oldest person in Congress – and he faced some stiff competition in the March 4 primary. How will he fare next week in his runoff?
- What do the runoffs show about the direction of the Republican Party in Texas?
- Where does this leave Democrats? And why are we hearing so little about the contested Democratic races, including the U.S. Senate runoff featuring David Alameel and Kesha Rogers?