Bexar County Sheriff: Man Killed By Deputies Was Armed With Knife
The Bexar County sheriff says deputies who gunned down a man whose hands were raised believe he was holding a knife at the time.
Bexar County Sheriff Susan Pamerleau told the San Antonio Express-News on Tuesday that Gilbert Flores was carrying a knife when the deputies confronted him Friday outside of a home northwest of San Antonio.
She says the deputies believe he was still holding it when they shot him.
A motorist captured video showing the 41-year-old Flores standing motionless with his hands raised in apparent surrender when he was shot. A utility pole obscured one of his arms, though.
Pamerleau says investigators are reviewing video of the confrontation. She previously said Flores was armed but didn't say what type of weapon he allegedly had.
A Bexar County prosecutor says a second video has emerged that gives authorities a "very clear view" of the confrontation. Bexar County District Attorney NicoLaHood on Tuesday described the video as "disturbing," but cautioned against a rush to judgment.
Sheriff's officials say nonlethal efforts to subdue Flores, including using a Taser, were unsuccessful.
Meanwhile, the FBI is monitoring an investigation of the shooting. Texas Public Radio in San Antonio reports:
The FBI is now monitoring an investigation of a fatal, videotaped shooting involving two deputies. Some neighbors of the man who died in the Walnut Pass subdivision are on edge. The FBI issued a statement Tuesday saying experienced civil rights investigators will look at whether the deputies willfully used excessive or unjustified force when they opened fire on 41-year old Gilbert Flores.