NPR for North Texas
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

DNA Clears Texan Who Spent 30 Years in Prison & Midday Roundup

By KERA News & Wire Services

Dallas, TX – A 51-year-old man who spent 30 years in prison for aggravated robbery will likely have his conviction set aside after DNA testing proved his innocence.

An exoneration hearing for Cornelius Dupree Jr. is scheduled for Tuesday in Dallas. If his conviction is overturned, Dupree would have spent more time wrongly imprisoned than any other DNA exoneree in Texas.

The district attorney's office said Monday it supports Dupree's innocence claim.

Dupree was charged in 1979 with raping and robbing a 26-year-old woman and sentenced in 1980 to 75 years in prison for aggravated robbery.

He was released on parole in July. DNA test results came back 10 days after his release, excluding him as the rapist. Dupree's case was turned down three times by the Court of Criminal Appeals.

Hearing on order blocking nuke waste plan in Texas

A judge in Austin will consider challenges to his blocking of a proposal that could allow dozens of states to dump radioactive waste in far West Texas.

Last week's temporary restraining order issued by State District Judge Jon Wisser sided with environmentalists.

Wisser planned a hearing Monday on the injunction against the Texas Low-Level Radioactive Waste Disposal Compact Commission.

The commission on Tuesday was scheduled to vote on rules to expand how much waste could be processed at a dump in remote Andrews County.

Environmentalists, who sought last Thursday's court ruling, have accused regulators and Dallas-based Waste Control Specialists of rushing through the dump expansion proposal during the holidays. A company spokesman denies the allegations.

The site currently accepts waste from Texas, Vermont and the federal government.

Dallas plans to seek Fort Worth's streetcar funds

Fort Worth's decision to drop a proposed streetcar line could send $25 million in federal funds to Dallas.

The Dallas Morning News and the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported, for Monday editions, that Dallas could seek the money for its own streetcar system.

The Fort Worth City Council on Dec. 7 nixed a feasibility study on the planned $88 million line. Mayor Mike Moncrief cited funding concerns. The package included a $25 million federal grant.

Dallas last February secured a $23 million federal grant of its own.

Michael Morris with the North Central Texas Council of Governments says the goal is to keep the funding in the area.

The Federal Transportation Administration this month will be asked, by regional planners, to consider allowing Dallas to spend the money meant for Fort Worth.