The holiday season tends to be less safe for drivers, and the early hours on New Year's Day are no exception.
According to the Texas Department of Transportation, there were 2,469 alcohol-related crashes during last year's holiday season (between Dec. 1, 2017 and Jan. 1, 2018). Ninety-six people died in those collisions.
Here are some free alternatives to get home safe tonight (or tomorrow morning).
Dallas Area Rapid Transit has partnered with Coors Light to offer free rides from 6 p.m. on Dec. 31 to the end of service. That offer includes all buses, trains, Paratransit Services and the TRE between Union Station and CentrePort/DFW Airport Station.
The final TRE trains from Union Station Depart at:
- 10:24 p.m. to Fort Worth
- 12:45 a.m. to CentrePort/DFW Airport Station
The final DART light rail trains leave from West End Station in downtown Dallas at:
- Red Line to Parker Road Station: 1:41 a.m.
- Red Line to Westmoreland Station: 1:18 a.m.
- Blue Line to Downtown Rowlett Station: 1:18 a.m.
- Blue Line to UNT Dallas Station: 1:16 a.m.
- Green Line to Buckner Station: 1:08 a.m.
- Green Line to North Carrollton/Frankford Station: 1:26 a.m.
- Orange Line to Parker Road Station: 12:24 a.m.
- Orange Line to DFW Airport Station: 12:11 a.m. (or use Green Line at 1:26 a.m. and transfer at Bachman Station to Orange Line at 1:45 a.m.)
The final Dallas streetcar leaves Union Station at 12:50 a.m. and Bishop Arts at 1:09 a.m.
AAA Texas is offering a free community service called "Tipsy Tow" to help keep drunk drivers off of the road. Drivers — AAA member or not—can call 1-800-222-4327 for a free tow home up to 10 miles. That service is in effect across Texas from 6 p.m. on Dec. 31 to 6 a.m. on Jan. 1.
Keep in mind that it's a one-way, one-time ride for a driver and their vehicle. And no, they won't tow your car to another bar or pick anyone else up.
Lyft has teamed up with the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission and AA to offer a $5 discount on rides across Texas on New Year's Eve. Use the promo code NYEPLAN18 in the Lyft App.
And don't be surprised if your ride costs more than usual. Surge pricing will be in effect for ride-sharing services. Last year, Uber released time windows when fare prices were peaked on New Year's Eve with midnight to 3 a.m. being the highest fare times.