Get live updates throughout the day on how COVID-19, the illness caused by the novel coronavirus, is affecting North Texas.
» COVID-19 By The Numbers:
- In Texas: More than 242,000 cases and more than 3,000 deaths have been reported. More than 122,000 Texans have recovered.
- In North Texas: Cases in Dallas County: 33,800; Tarrant County: 18,161; Collin County: 4,533; Denton County: 4,049. There have been at least 806 reported deaths in the region's four largest counties.
- Counties across Texas: Use The Texas Newsroom's interactive maps.
- Global: See Johns Hopkins University's COVID-19 dashboard.
Denton ISD Delays School Reopenings
The Denton school board has pushed the first day of school to Wednesday, August 26.
Superintendent Jamie Wilson said the delay allows staff more time to practice safety protocols.
Recent surveys indicated more than 70% of respondents want in-person instruction with new safety and wellness protocols as recommended by the Texas Education Agency and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
New Study To Test For The Prevalence Of COVID-19
UT Southwestern Medical Center and Texas Health Resources will recruit 30,000 people, along with 14,000 volunteers found through local businesses for a new study of COVID-19.
UT Southwestern Dr. Amit Singal is the principal investigator for the study. He explained what he's looking for.
“First, how many residents are currently infected with COVID-19 or have antibodies?,” he said. “Second, what is the rate of infection among non-medical, essential occupations in which social distancing is difficult?”
A number of study participants will get tested after a year to review the effectiveness of social distancing guidelines — and to look for antibodies that could illuminate the risks of re-infection.
- What should I know about coronavirus? Get information from the CDC.
- What's been happening locally, statewide and nationally? Check out special coverage from NPR, PBS and the public radio stations in The Texas Newsroom: KERA for North Texas (including quick daily updates below); KUT in Austin; Houston Public Media; Texas Public Radio in San Antonio; and Marfa Public Radio.
- How can I help others or find help for my family? The KERA Helps Tool connects you to funds, nonprofits, agencies and organizations working to help people in need.
- How's coronavirus affecting North Texans on the financial edge? Take an in-depth look at our new series, "One Crisis Away: Coronavirus And Life On The Financial Edge."
74 New Cases In Collin County
The 74 additional cases in Collin County bring its accumulative total since the beginning of the pandemic to 4,533, as of 3:30 p.m. today. The county's death total stands at 56.
Tarant County Adds 404 New Cases
Tarrant County's additional 404 cases today bring its countywide accumulative total to 18,161. The county's total death count as of today is 272.
Dallas County: 1,174 Additional Cases, 2 New Deaths
Dallas County reports 1,174 new cases as of 11 a.m. today, bringing its total case count to 33,800. Dallas County Health and Human Services has also reported two deaths:
- A Dallas man in his 60s
- A man in his 80s who was a resident of a long-term care facility in Dallas
That brings Dallas County's death total to 51.
On Saturday, Dallas County finished the week with an average of 1,121 cases per day and 54 total deaths, making the past week the county's deadliest and the one with the highest daily case average.
112 New Cases in Denton County
Denton County Public Health reported 112 new cases today, bringing the county's cumulative total — current, recovered and deaths — to 4,049. The death count remains at 40.
KERA News is made possible through the generosity of our members. If you find this reporting valuable, consider making a tax-deductible gift today. Thank you.