Good news first: The folks at the State Fair of Texas have chosen 10 intriguing new foods to compete in the final round of the 14th annual Big Tex Choice Awards.
OK, bad news: Deep Fried Ranch did not make this year's cut.
But that doesn't necessarily mean you won't get to try it. Concessionaires behind all 31 semifinalists introduced a couple weeks ago can still choose to serve their food at the fair.
Now, to the finalists. They'll compete in three categories: Best Taste — Sweet, Best Taste — Savory and Most Creative later this month. Last year, the Funnel Cake Bacon Queso Burger won savory and creative superlatives. The Gulf Coast Fish Bowl took home the sweetest title. Check those out.
Judges will crown the winners at 2 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 26 at the Tower Building in Fair Park. By the way, you're invited.
The State Fair of Texas opens Sept. 28 and runs through Oct. 21.
Here are the finalists, their creators and their competing category.
1. Arroz Con Leche by the Garza Family (Sweet)
2. Cotton Candy Taco by Justin and Rudy Martinez (Sweet)
3. Deep Fried Sheperd's Pie by Clint Probst (Savory)
4. Deep Fried Skillet Potato Melt in a Boat by Tom Grace (Savory)
5. Fernie's Hoppin' John Cake with Jackpot Sauce by Winter Family Concessions (Savory)
6. Fernie's Orange You Glad We Fried It?! by Winter Family Concessions (Sweet)
7. State Fair Fun-L Cake Ice Cream by Tom Landis (Sweet)
8. Sweet Bakin' Bacon by Ed and Eddie Campbell (Sweet)
9. Texas Fried Hill Country by Justin and Rudy Martinez (Savory)
10. Texas Twang-kie by Chris and Sherry Howard (Sweet)