News for North Texas
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations

Fort Worth School Briefly Evacuated Over Carbon Monoxide Concerns

Fort Worth ISD

A Fort Worth school was briefly evacuated this afternoon over concerns about carbon monoxide exposure.

The evacuation occurred after a doctor said a staff member at Diamond Hill Elementary School was exhibiting signs of carbon monoxide exposure.

From Fort Worth ISD:

When campus leaders were advised of that fact the school was evacuated in an abundance of caution. The Fort Worth Fire Department was called to check the building. The FD found no evidence of any gas within the building. There was construction activity on campus but outside the school building. Workers were using a gasoline powered cutting tool. There has been no determination if fumes from that tool caused anyone to feel nauseous.  As a matter of caution the use of that tool has been curtailed for the remainder of the day.

The fire department has cleared the school and students have returned to class.

Four staff members were taken to an area hospital after complaints of nausea. The school district also says no children have been taken to the hospital.

Former KERA staffer Krystina Martinez was an assistant producer. She produced local content for Morning Edition and She also produced The Friday Conversation, a weekly series of conversations with North Texas newsmakers. Krystina was also the backup newscaster for the Texas Standard.