The State Fair of Texas Friday morning released its list of 30 semifinalists for the 13th annual Big Tex Choice Awards.
Every year, concessionaires dream up their wildest concoctions with unusual flavors, combinations and textures — and then more often than not, deep fry them.
The following 30 items will be narrowed down to 10 finalists (two more than last year) in mid-August to then compete for three Big Tex Choice Awards: Best Taste- Sweet, Best Taste - Savory and Most Creative.
Previously, the fair just had Best Taste and Most Creative. Last year, the winners for taste and creativity were Deep Fried Jell-O and State Fair Cookie Fries, respectively.
The winners will be named at 2 p.m. on Aug. 27 at the Tower Building in Fair Park. Tickets will go on sale for $100 on Aug. 1. Ticket holders get to taste test all of the finalists about a month before the fair starts.
Here are the 30 semifinalists
- Beer Battered Beef Jerky
- Cajun Fried Deviled Eggs
- Crawfish Lollipop
- Deep Fried Bacon Wrapped Mozzarella with Jalapeño Ranch
- Deep Fried Breakfast Cupcake
- Deep Fried Chicken Noodle Soup on a Stick
- Deep Fried Fruit Loops
- Deep Fried Reuben
- Deep Fried Root Beer Float with Dragon's Breath
- Dreamy Drunken Sopapilla Cheesecake Bar
- Fat Smooth
- Fried Arroz Con Pollo
- Fried Cheesecake Stuffed Apple Sundae
- Fried El Paso
- Fried Mango Loco
- Fried Redneck Wedding Cake Balls
- Fried Sloppy Joe Flautas with 'Not Cho' Fries
- Fried Texas Dirt
- Fried Texas Sheet Cake
- Funnel Cake Bacon Queso Burger
- Gulf Coast Fish Bowl
- Oreo Beer
- Pinot Noir Popcorn
- Ramen Grasshopper Cookie
- Southern Fried Chicken Monte Cristo
- Surfin-Turfin-Tator Boat
- Texas Fajita Fries
- Texas Fried Cowboy Fritters
- The Tamale Donut
- Tipsy Topsy Catfish on a Stick
The fair runs from Sept. 29 to Oct. 22.