Most Active Stories
- Motorola Chooses Fort Worth For New U.S.-Made Phone
- AP: Top Obama Officials Use Secret Email Accounts
- TAB Wants Perry To Veto Bill That Reduced Number of Year End Tests
- Tornado Safe Room Rebate Program Expected To Draw Slew Of Online Applications
- North Texas Nurses Gain New Freedom To Treat Patients
Tue August 7, 2012
West Nile Claims Another Dallas Resident
Dallas County is reporting an eighth death from West Nile virus.
Health officials say the patient lived in the 75229 zip code in northwest Dallas. That’s the area bounded on the east and west by Preston, and Luna from Walnut Hill to Forest. The patient, a woman in her 90’s, had the neuroinvasive strain of the illness.
Health officials say of the 141 West Nile cases, nearly three-fourths have the more serious strain that affects the nervous system – causing fatigue, fever, mental confusion and paralysis.
In Dallas County, the population of West Nile cases is over age 50, and most are male.
Denton County has reported its first death from West Nile: a man in his 90’s with underlying medical conditions.
Tarrant County reports 110 cases and one death.